Sunday, February 11, 2007

Regarding 2008, Giffords Gets It

I was not able to attend the event our Congresswoman hosted yesterday on Tucson's north side that was open to the public. Anyone know how it went? Did everyone just smile and clap? Did someone get hot and bothered and really let her have it about something? Did anyone show up?

I am equally disappointed that I missed Framer on the radio yesterday, so I still don't know who he is, although our local press has his cell phone number.

I did receive our Congresswoman's letter to her supporters where she does not hesitate to note the saying that You are not really elected until you are re-elected. While there are exceptions to this wisdom (Grijalva in CD7), her slot in CD 8 is most certainly not one of them. She then states, very correctly, her belief that the 2008 election will be "much harder" than the last one.

Fundraising rhetoric in a letter to supporters or not, the words are true. The GOP had a complete meltdown in this race last time. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that funds sent Grijalva's way are unnecessary, but a unified Democratic Party will hopefully understand that CD 8 is far more challenging terrain requiring more funds, more grassroots effort, and greater support. The GOP is not going to waste ammo on CD 7. The cross hairs and little red dots are lining up on its neighbor to the east.

Ray Carroll? Tim Bee? Mike Hellon is busy. In addition to the difficult Presidential race, one would speculate the GOP will devote some energy to reversing its 2006 LD 26 humiliation. They will prioritize what they do, but it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that CD 8 is seen as ripe, a target worthy of considerable investment and a knock down, drag out effort. She's vulnerable, and she gets it.

I'm not the least bit shy about asserting that I think George W. Bush is far above and away the WORST president in the history of this country in terms of overall damage to both the country and the planet. Instead of listening to me, I highly recommend the following Nation Article that offers an excellent read on the subject.

Also, the US Mint is taking another shot at a dollar coin, but once again, these people just don't get that the way to make this happen is to STOP PRINTING THE PAPER BILLS. We are blowing hundreds of millions of dollars a year being stupid about our currency. This is one issue, where if I were the despot in charge, I would pull a Cheney and say, "To hell with what anyone thinks, we're scrapping the penny, the nickel, and the dollar bill, and the $BILLION+ dollars per year that this will save will go into programs fortifying our education system, particularly towards programs promoting math and science."

By the way, can anyone explain to me why an AP article about the new dollar coin features a completely unexplained photograph of Mitt Romney looking very presidential?

2 Comments:

Blogger Framer said...

x4mr,

I got the impression that the Giffords Q&A was next week, as is my radio show segment.

So you still have the opportunity to get a total do-over :)

2/11/2007 9:47 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Sirocco,

Thanks. I took a brief look, and it does look pretty good. My cup runneth over. If I lose my job tomorrow, I'll have plenty of time to check it out very thoroughly.

I will definitely fit it in. I'm a bit of a junkie for this sort of stuff.

Regards.

2/14/2007 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE