Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Border Business, Substance Abuse, and Cactus Roots

Tucson, Arizona. GOP heavyweight auto dealer Jim Click’s photo and quotation ran front top center page in the Tucson Citizen regarding concerns about SB 2779. (That link goes to a good article, by the way.) I wonder if Janet would have signed the thing if she faced re-election in 2010. Well, GOP, be careful what you ask for. I think you've been handed a hot potato.

In the meantime, the Health and Human Services Department has released a study indicating that one in twelve full-time employees use illegal drugs regularly. It found that 16.4 million illegal drug users and 15 million heavy alcohol drinkers are among the fully employed. When disaggregating the illegal drug use by occupation, construction (17.4%) and restaurants (15,1%) ranked highest, with education and social workers ranking lowest. They obviously did not isolate philosophers (47.7%), artists (66.2%), or rock musicians (98.7%). Of course marijuana dominated the statistics.

They defined "heavy drinking" as five or more drinks on one occasion or drinking any amount on five or more occasions in the last month. That comprises the entire countries of Ireland, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, and geez, Louise, the Russians?!

Do you know how much they drink in the Ukraine? Visit the place. If you try to order food at a restaurant, they give you a funny look. Take photos so you can remember the trip.

The Star has an article noting that Congresswoman Giffords’ cactus roots locomotive has close to $1 million to fuel its engine. More than half of her money, $620,000, came from individuals. Does the reader get that? It’s July 2007.

Maybe I’ll get that email from Tim Bee today about his position on immigration and SB 2779. He voted for it. I wonder what our senate president has to say to Jim Click.

My support for Congresswoman Giffords is public record. Who stands in her way in November 2008 might as well stand in front of a train, including Bee. I will keep reminding the dear reader that I am a left-leaning Independent who can and will vote red when red is smart. 2008 is shaping up to be a mess for the GOP.

5 Comments:

Blogger Liza said...

Yes, x4mr, your support for Ms.Giffords is legendary.

It's your blog, and you can write about her ad nauseum. In fact, that is exactly what you're doing.

7/17/2007 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7/17/2007 2:36 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Oh, Liza. Legendary? You flatter me, and it's not really that bad. I think ad nauseam is a little harsh, but that's all right.

I know you supported Jeff enthusiastically. I am curious. If Patty had prevailed, and I covered Patty in approximately the same way, would you have the same sentiments?

It's ok. All feedback is appreciated. As I will post in a day or so, I am still waiting for far more vitriolic remarks.

By the way, thanks to yourself and others, I have significantly revised the document in directions consistent with your feedback.

What remains is the character development, which requires more effort, and it exposes inquiries that involve considerable reflection.

7/17/2007 7:10 PM  
Blogger Liza said...

You would not cover Patty in the same way, now would you?

Anyhow, it's about you, not them. Think of my near vitriolic remark as a kind of "tough love." It is about obsession, which will cost you some credibility. A writer of your caliber (or potential) needs to be concerned about credibility.
Credibility is everything.

7/17/2007 8:09 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Point well taken, Liza. You are right. I will keep your counsel in mind moving forward. I believe that you read the "initially published" content. The current content cuts way back.

I simply do not understand 10/06/84, and I do not understand 4/09/04.

If you have time, scan "Blindness" and you will see the difference is significant.

7/17/2007 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE