Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Grassroots, Grassfire, and Entropy

Tucson, Arizona. Alas, your humble blogger is discussing border trouble, not buffel trouble. Based on the famous and fabulous Wendy’s commercial (yes, it actually plays, and you should watch!) with the three old ladies, a conservative "grassroots" group, Grassfire.org has decided to shell out $175,000 to air a television ad, Where’s the fence? which of course demonstrates ignorance of what I learned months ago, that a fence is not fence.

They call themselves conservative, but for the last three years Grassfire appears to be a single issue set of xenophobes petrified about the alien invasion. I’m so sick of the border, but it appears to be topic de jour for all of the jours this summer.

Senator Bee hasn’t contacted me yet regarding his position on immigration. Has he said anything to anyone? I googled "immigration Bee" to research the matter and learned about the possible deportation of the parents of a spelling champion in Utah, but nothing about the president of our Senate.

Those familiar with thermodynamics and entropy understand that order requires energy. The parents arrive tomorrow, and significant energy is required today to produce order in a home that currently illustrates the results of entropy, the commingling of papers, books, magazines, glasses, dishes, bottles, notes, Starbucks cups full of discarded tissue, clean but unfolded laundry. By tomorrow, all will be properly placed and disposed, cleaned and ordered. But it will take effort.

Yeah, it’s a differential equation, but I promise an easy one. Simplifying, it says that if something hot sits right next to something that is cold, what do you think? As humanity unfolds, same thing. The question is not whether it will happen. The question is how smart we are going to be about it.

The astute might remark, "Then how do the rich keep getting richer?"

Excellent observation. Energy. Lots of it. The physics? HORRIFYING. Let them eat cake.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sirocco said...

Why bother cleaning? the house will simply devolve to entropy again anyway. It's the natural state.

6/06/2007 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been some time since I posted a comment, but I've been following this blog, which, by the way, I really think is excellent.

I don't know if other people laugh, but you are regularly "serious funny." I guess it is personal taste. I will be catching my breath, and then my wife doesn't even smile.

Googling "immigration Bee"? HA! And I was dying at the Grijalva mustache part. God, and the part about the kitten in the frying pan was over the top.

I like the reference to the heat equation, entropy, and your house.

I am curious, do you think nations are becoming obsolete? How else would we organize?

6/06/2007 3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Mr. Garner. It's hard to know where to start but a good and very important place to start is signing the recall and a huge help would be getting as many people to circulate our petitions as possible are allowed by law to do so. It would be great if you could spread the word and really great if we could work together on the blogosphere and with people face to face to get the word out. If you could give me a call after 3:00 pm that would be great and also keep emailing with me that would be great to. Well, I'll let you go now but I want to thank you for writing and I look forward to all of us multiplying exponentially in numbers, whether left or right or independent.
Leonard Clark
Chair of the John McCain and the Jon Kyl Recall Committees
602-423-6300

Will Crum
Treasurer of the John McCain and the Jon Kyl Recall Committees

6/14/2007 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE