Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Early Campus Presence

Tucson, Arizona. I spend a fair amount of time on the University of Arizona campus, and I look around, noticing more than just the Lolitas. Based on the limited sampling of my treks to various buildings and the student union, the very early campus presence of candidates for the 2008 election falls to three candidates and only three.


1. Ron Paul - a very strong first. Stickers all over.
2. Barack Obama - Flyers have been posted to organize meetings with volunteers and local supporters.

The third came as a surprise.

3. Derek Tidball - Independent candidate for AZ Congressional District 8. Derek has posted papers soliciting volunteers and perhaps paid staff, the sheet of paper with the tear off contact information slips at the bottom.

Regarding any other candidate for anything, I have not seen a thing, and no criticism is intended. Bee can't post until he announces. Giffords has higher priorities at this stage, and Grijalva doesn't have to know where the campus is. For state races, it's just too early.

I've not seen any articles, but I wonder what the Hillary machine is doing regarding the college crowd across the country. By no means scientific, my radar smells a strong desire for change.

Change means Ron Paul for the GOP and Barack Obama for the Democrats. In this blogger's opinion, Ron Paul has zero chance of landing the nomination, and Barack has about twice those odds.

My confidence in Giuliani is slipping, but if not him, who? A President Huckabee defies linguistic metaphysics, and it can't be Romney. It just can't. The guy listed Battlefield Earth as a favorite, stated that marriages in France come with seven year exit clauses (France is Catholic), claimed to be a lifelong hunter after shooting some rats, and thinks Jesus is coming to Missouri. Thompson? Please.

Wait a minute. What am I thinking? Look who we have in the White House now!!

Never mind.

The United States could elect an aardvark. GW Bush is the precise embodiment of the Greek criticism of democracy thousands of years ago. Way back then, their intellectuals surmised that the teaming masses could be manipulated into electing whomever the manipulators designated, officials controlled by those who truly control. Renegade President "Let them enforce it!" Jackson was a preview full of interesting historical ironies, a man who won the most votes in 1824 but saw the election handed to his opponent (Adams). Jackson made himself in an early life of considerable hardship and poverty. They are opposites and the same. A good historian could write a book.

Now we have Eggplant, someone who has never bought or prepared his own food, a bravado Texas man who (truth be revealed) is terrified of horses. Doesn't that just capture it?

Perhaps our elections are not really elections. Perhaps we merely witness herds of sheep in competing stampedes steered with money and the media it controls.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sirocco said...

Actually, if candidates are listed on a ballot alphabetically, an Aardvark might do surprisingly well.

11/21/2007 1:29 PM  
Blogger Dustin said...

There are only two times I ever feel like I've been wasting time. The first is every time I shined a toilet, and the second is everytime I cast a ballot.

11/21/2007 1:56 PM  
Blogger John Rose said...

Why the continued skepticism about an Obama nomination?

11/21/2007 2:51 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

John,

I would love to be wrong. I have posted, although quite awhile ago, that I am not particularly enthusiastic about Hillary. Neither are the omnivores, who prefer Obama.

If I were God, I'd put Gore/Clark or Gore/Obama in office. I've given up on a Gore entry. No matter what, I vote blue in 2008 across the board, including the aardvark. I am not at all opposed to Obama, but a sick feeling just tells me "the machine" will insure it's Hillary.

As already stated, I think the crop of GOP candidates, minus Paul, are pathetic and that the democrat will win.

I would LOVE to see Ron Paul split the GOP or in some way transform it. I don't think Paul or Obama are part of the "system" turning this planet into an Orwellian nightmare. Did you watch the video posted a couple stories back?

11/21/2007 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your tying Bush to Andrew Jackson would indeed make a fascinating conversation and warrants further remark.

Bush is the ultimate ELITE, born into an outrageous amount of wealth that could shield him from every failure he made. He is nothing but a failure.

Andrew Jackson was the ultimate ANTI-ELITE. My history is not strong enough to discuss Jackson's intellect, but his weak education made him a rogue president just like Bush.

Both men basically told the rest of the government to screw themselves and did what they wanted. Jackson's inauguration horrified the established elite and a bunch of ruffians trashed the White House in party of drunken "debauchery."

The irony about the popular vote is indeed amazing. Jackson won the popular vote in 24, but the system put Adams in office instead. Bush lost the popular vote in 00, but got put in office.

What a strange universe we live in.

I would speculate Jackson is by far the better human being, but someone more informed is welcome to enlighten me otherwise.

11/21/2007 3:26 PM  
Blogger Touchdown said...

My favorite book is HHG to the Galaxy...does that mean I'm un-electable?
TR

11/24/2007 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE