Monday, November 05, 2007

Election Day

A few dozen people will vote tomorrow in Tucson's elections. The RRR, and I refer not to Tedski, will win. Rodney, Regina, and Robert will coast to easy victories. Proposition 200 is DOA. Even good propositions don't pass.

Looking further ahead to the far more explosive 2008 elections, now that I'm mostly cosmopolitan, my local horsepower isn't what it used to be, although I find three 2008 elections very compelling: the race for President, Arizona Congressional District Eight, and Arizona Legislative District 26. I wish Daniel Patterson success in LD-29 and will say more about that later. I don't know who stands in his way, and I also don't know who may be considering challenging Paula in LD-28, my district. Jonathon Paton has a red carpet into the LD-30 Senate.

Surprising no one, I think only the extraordinary can unseat our Congresswoman in CD-8. Mitchell up in CD-5 has a tougher road to hoe, but I think he has a shot. The CD-1 replacement for Renzi could also prove intriguing in this environment.

Joe Tidball represents what I hope will become more common in 2008 - Independent candidates with fresh ideas and perspectives. To the extent they are intelligent and offer credible arguments, my belief is that they elevate the conversation and produce a richer discourse.

I spend tomorrow in front of a machine running SAS. The RRR's can win and Prop. 200 can fail without my help. I may never learn whether Walkup endorsed my beheading. He didn't stop it. At this point, it is old news and who cares.

Of considerably more significance are recent events in Pakistan. The country has nuclear warheads. If Musharraf falls, what rises in his place? Bhutto? The Supreme Court led by the attorneys he is arresting? Islamic extremists?

The planet's getting intense. We really need to elect some individuals of at least average intelligence. Instead of electing the richest, let's consider electing the brightest. As great as this country is, it cannot survive the perpetual election of vegetables (Bush) and demons (Cheney).

This Pakistani thing is disturbing.

No, the Steelers cannot beat the Patriots. I salute Indianapolis for requiring my team, the best in the history of the game, to break a sweat. It's good for them. Pittsburgh will not fare so well. I believe it's week 14. Pittsburgh might as well crawl between a bun, add lettuce, mustard, and some pepperjack cheese.

6 Comments:

Blogger Liza said...

The best team in the history of the game?

You apparently were not around in the late 70's to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers (Bradshaw, Stallworth, Swann, Harris, etc...)

11/06/2007 8:00 AM  
Blogger Sirocco said...

Pakistan is a huge concern. For all the concerns the administration has about Iran developing nuclear weapons, Pakistan is where extremists are most likely to actually get their hands on a bomb.

11/06/2007 8:50 AM  
Blogger Sirocco said...

Oh, those Dallas or SF teams of the early 1990's were considerably better than today's NE team, by dint of the fact hey didn't have to operate under salary cap constraints and could load up on talent, which they did.

Dallas, in particular, during it's first two Super Bowl years of the decade, had backups who were better than starters on most teams.

I will say in the salary cap era this NE team is the best I have seen.

11/06/2007 8:58 AM  
Blogger x4mr said...

I suppose I should have spoken more rigorously. I am talking big picture and overall in an apples/apples conversation.

In terms of overall strategy, tactics, team philosophy, synergy, combination, and system design, the Patriots are at an unprecedented level.

What would be fascinating, and we will never know, is what would happen if the sophistication and intellect of today's Pats went up against the earlier teams you mentioned. We could argue, but I say the jury's out.

This is a lot more fun to discuss than Pakistan. I am uneasy. I have no idea what India is thinking .

11/06/2007 11:10 AM  
Blogger Dustin said...

Pakistan is a big deal, and as sirocco mentioned, for all of the reasons the administration is rattling it's saber at iran.

The record proves it, the pats are made of awesome. I still can't hate them, that little corner of my heart will always be reserved for the cowboys, and everything duke.

11/06/2007 4:27 PM  
Blogger Daniel R. Patterson, Editor said...

Thanks for the support.

Daniel Patterson (D-LD29)
for Arizona House

http://danielpatterson.net

11/06/2007 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE