Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Border


The reader can easily find a lot of nonsense online about the alpha theta border. I don’t even bother to provide a link, although this page supports the fundamentals of the material here, as does the Wikipedia content addressing the subject. We don’t really understand the highest range of the brain wave frequencies, gamma, the range from 28 Hz (cycles per second) or so up to 100 Hz. Some believe that geniuses contemplating profound thought push higher frequencies. Others reject this.

Beta, 12 to 28 Hz, is the range associated with active, working thought. Most accept that higher frequencies imply greater concentration or complexity of the contemplation. Normal life during the day occurs in this range, whether you are reading, taking a math test, or giving a speech in Washington. We live with brains running at 12 to 28 Hz. We get tired eventually and have to sleep. Slowing down some more, we enter alpha, the range from 8 to 12 Hz.

We’re still awake but quite relaxed in alpha. The best analogy I’ve heard is that the transition from beta to alpha involves relinquishing management. We aren’t "handling anything" nor considering having to handle anything. While giving our speech to Congress or leading our seminar, we’re in beta. Speech over, seminar complete, we relax and go for a walk. We drop to alpha. While on the court, you’re in beta. When the game is over, you let your hair down and have a drink, think alpha. The body and sensory perceptions are still on. We are awake and see, hear, smell all incoming data. Sitting there relaxed, we hear the phone ring, and it’s a newspaper reporter. We rise to beta in milliseconds and get to work.

Beta is "game on" and alpha is "game over" but still awake. Slowing below alpha requires relinquishing what passes for control. Better said, slowing below alpha requires disconnecting from the external environment. The process occurs when going to sleep or performing very monotonous tasks, i.e. driving for hours on a freeway. We drop from 12 to 11 to 10. At about 8 we reach the threshold of ability to connect with the outside world. The brain starts shutting down the "five senses" and awareness of the physical body. We enter "la la land" and start dreaming.

We’re asleep but not asleep, awake but not awake. If we are falling asleep, the drop continues, and we dream as we fall from 7 to 6 to 5. When we hit 4 we enter delta and the brain shuts down even further. Dreaming stops, and although not flat line (that’s brain dead), we are no different from someone in a coma. No awareness of the passage of time occurs and we rejuvenate, refresh, and recharge. We still don’t really understand what happens, but the brain replenishes marvelously in delta. Delta provides the real fruit of sleep. A good night’s sleep is a chunk of time in delta.

Oversimplified but very close is the notion that delta is OFF, alpha is ON but idling, and beta is working. The range between off, delta, and on, alpha, provides interesting turf, known as theta. Deeper insight distinguishes what shuts down when as the frequency falls. As we drop below 8 Hz we close physical perception and the connection to the outside world, but we are still "awake" and recording memory. In theta, 4 to 8 Hz, the physical is down but the mental remains up. Brain cells previously handling a boatload of work are now free to do Something Else.

The implications are extraordinary.

In computer speak, we just freed up massive CPU and RAM, and we’re still running.

The plot thickens. Shifting gears, the earth is surrounded by a conductive ionosphere. Without diving into physics, the 65 mile gap between the surface of the planet and the ionosphere acts like a waveguide which has natural resonating frequencies. The lowest frequency (and highest intensity) of the resonance occurs at 7.83 Hz, called the Schumann Resonance.

Notice anything about that number? It sits right at the top of theta, where we are free of our bodies, free of the physical world, yet still mentally functional and not only functional, but more than functional with substantially more mental capacity than during the normal waking state. A brain at this frequency has the following situation:


All physical sensory perception and body sensations are shut down.

The ability to think, feel, dream, and record memories is in fact enhanced, not weakened.

The mind is resonating with the natural frequency between the earth and the ionosphere.

Normal people going to sleep just waltz down the frequency hall from beta to delta passing door 7.83 without stopping or looking. A certain set of folks, however, have brains wired a little too hot for their own good. Getting to sleep is difficult. That brain just doesn’t want to slow down. They toss and turn in bed thinking about the implications of black holes at the center of every galaxy and the fact that it isn’t just solid, liquid, and gas, but in fact above gas there is plasma, and damn it, why do we have to die and what is that about? Well, finally, certain folks do relax, but they go down that hall REAL SLOW.

10 Hz: Tossing turning, thinking about world events and evolution of consciousness.
9 Hz: Less movement and random associations of comfortable randomness
8.5 Hz: Ah, relief. Elvis gets to sleep tonight. Thank god. It’s about time.
8.0 Hz: La la land. The body is history. Associative thinking breaks down and concepts, emotions, thoughts or fragments of thoughts pass according to different rules.
7.83 Hz: THE BORDER. What’s this? Well, this is strangest dream I’ve ever had. Wait a minute? Is this a dream? I’m in a dream wondering if I am dreaming? If I am dreaming, why am I so functional and aware? If I am not dreaming, what is this?

Wait. Something’s coming.

At the border, one navigates with instruments that do not exist in beta, and most of the instruments that exist in beta are unavailable at the border. You think that’s air you’re breathing? In this context, what is movement, location, or proximity?

Got physics? Uh, no.

Like all items paranormal, an abundance of BS is available for sale. DVD’s, music, pills, whatever, can be purchased regarding the border. Buddhism. Chanting. Prayer. Yoga. Like the rest of reality, the truth involves hard work and no shortcuts.

By the way, if you think the border is safe, I can promise it is not. As the Sufi masters are known to say, every stick has two ends. I know someone institutionalized after a border event. 1993 was a border event, I promise.

Proceed with caution. Better yet, leave it alone.

If you reject my advice and manage to get there, know that upon your return you can kiss atheism and organized religion goodbye. In this context, we know nothing, nothing at all, except that there is something.

Humanity does not know where it came from. It does not know why it is here. It does not know where it is going.

There is something going on, but we don’t know what.

21 Comments:

Blogger Sirocco said...

Great post!

Glad to see it. I was pretty comfortable this was where things were headed, although a lot of specifics are spelled out which helps expand and clarify on things ...

My question, and it has a personal basis to it, it was differentiates between those who spend a lot of time in that transition state, the border, and those who just blow through it?

Basis for the question: I don't sleep much, about 4 hours a night, but I sleep _extremely_ deeply. It's quite normal for me to decide I am ready to go to bed, turn out the light, and be asleep within 15 seconds (which irritates my wife no end). I wake up quickly too.

The UA used to have (may still have) a sleep study program over in the psych building. I volunteered for some testing there a number of years ago, and they found I basically go directly to stage N4 NREM sleep (although I don't know if that was the term used then) and come directly back out. I spent almost no time whatsoever in a dream state.

I may dream, probably do (if not much, since I don't spend much time in a dream state) ... but I actually can't recall when I last woke up remembering anything about a dream ... over a decade at least, maybe far longer.

I don't think during the study I was told anything about my specific brain-wave frequencies (or if I was told, it didn't register), but my suspicion is I simply drop through the theta stage far more quickly (orders of magnitude?), than might be "normal" or "standard", both coming and going.

It many ways, I like this ... my wife enjoys her sleep, which I have never understood. I have always resented every hour I have had to sleep, thinking of it as an hour lost where I could be _doing_ something ... but apparently there is an attraction here I am completely missing out on.

Is it possible the way I sleep contributes to my notion the "soul" is a human conceit?

9/09/2007 7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I've been there. I am one of those folks who has a really hard time getting to sleep. The reason I say I'm not sure is that it sounds like you are talking about lucid dreaming.

9/09/2007 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing.

A very thought provoking post. I mean, seriously. Your words have weight and a very credible tone.

You have shifted my sense of the word "Navigator" and now I see a LOT more than I did before.

You MUST have spent time at some spiritual school of some kind, the real kind where a person has to actually DO something that produces spiritual growth.

Impressive, as is this blog. I say what's next to tell you that I know, because you already do. I am positive beyond a doubt that one of the parameters guiding what you post is that it educate the reader.

Reading this blog is very educational. That you educate and entertain at the same time is remarkable. I have learned a lot reading your blog.

You really are all about education.

Keep it up.

9/09/2007 12:59 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Anon,

Thanks for the approving words. You are right. I consider it rude to waste a reader's time. Every post has to pass a certain test that far exceeds that of a comment.

I may or may not succeed, but each story is supposed to provide value.

Sirocco,
So you're one of those lucky SOB's blessed with a switch! Oh, what I would give for such a switch. My father is lucky that way too. Going to sleep is a cakewalk.

Like Dustin, I struggle.

You are almost certainly correct Sirocco that you fly down the frequency hall and pass 7.83 in a flash, grab pure distilled delta so efficiently you only need 4 hours (I am jealous), and then pop right back up.

Dustin,
First let's insure semantics, a lucid dream is one where the individual has an awareness that one is in fact dreaming. Many experience this although not often.

The Border is another matter entirely. At 7.83 Hz, you are so close to alpha that you are practically awake. In fact, you might be awake. We don't know.

Personally, I would offer that the border is indistinguishable from waking reality. Yes, dreams can feel very real, but not like the border.

The border delivers a reality with a power that leaves one altered, for better or worse. It alters lives. Popping from the border does not feel like waking up.

If you question whether you have been to the border, you haven't.

If you have, you know you have.

I cannot say that the border ties to the eastern nirvana, but I would speculate a relationship exists. Rigorous and credible studies have shown that Buddhist meditation takes one there and beyond. What is the silence or state produced by successful meditation?

What is successful meditation?

I have a request, Sirocco. I don't know your relationship with alcohol. If you never drink, please watch Inland Empire and consume as follows:

30 minutes prior to film: 2 oz Scotch of choice and solid protein (no sweets) to keep hunger away.

Start of film: Another 2 oz.
0:45 into film: Another 2 oz.
1:45 into film: Another 2 oz.

Conclusion of film: Another 2 oz, fire up the computer, and take A Bunch of Hot Air where it has never been.

Oh, during this entire exercise, have the wife safely away from home, and don't butcher Lynch with some tiny 19 inch nonsense and pathetic sound.

42 or more LCD.
Bose.
Black room.
Loud.

If you hate Scotch, Armagnac.

Protein, no sweets.

I mean it about the wife. Getting shitfaced while watching Lynch and then blogging bizarre will freak her out.

9/09/2007 2:55 PM  
Blogger Sirocco said...

Heehehhe ... I'll have to think about it x4mr. 10 oz of alcohol would probably match match my intake for the past decade or a little longer - and remember, I got married a few months ago.

I do have the requisite video and audio setups though, and I plan to see the movie sometime in the next couple weeks. Must contemplate.

9/09/2007 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

x4mr,

Are you trying to kill Sirocco? If he drinks according to your prescription, I am uncertain he will be able to find his computer, much less write a coherent story.

Your post is excellent and accurate. I have been to the border repeatedly and can confirm what you have written.

I am a little surprised you did not use the "gateway" term. The border is a gateway, an opening. It unlocks a door into another place.

Sirocco is lucky for sleeping easily, but he misses the transcendent mystery of the beyond.

Sirocco, women like sleep. I don't understand it either. Your wife is normal.

x4mr, go to blognetnews. They have ranked you #2 as the most influential political blog in the state.

Not to bust your bubble, but I don't think so. It does, however, indicate you are noticed.

9/09/2007 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see, I must have misunderstood what you were driving at. While I have had lucid dreams a few times, I can safely say I've never been to the border. That's fine by me.

9/10/2007 7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah! Hah! Hah!

(gasp)

Hah! Hah! Hah!

Oh my god. The image of straight laced semi geek software genius Sirocco swilling scotch and watching David Lynch is just priceless.

Hah! Hah!

My stomach hurts. Even funnier is the idea of his wife walking in on the whole thing, a smashed Sirocco sprawled on the sofa as Laura Dern starts screaming and shrieking.

x4mr is what happens when nice guys like Sirocco go bad.

Be careful, Sirocco. x4mr is the dark side. You will lose your wife, the kids, the house with the pool, the dogs, and the cat.

I have not been to the border except in passing, like most people. I am glad. I am very, very, very skeptical of paranormal stuff. I think it is 99.999% hokey BS only the stupid consider.

Having read a lot of x4mr as well as the navigator, I can say neither are stupid. You two can have the border. Inland Empire with a few beers is as close as I want to get.

9/10/2007 11:00 AM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Yeah, I must admit I laughed to myself about Sirocco drinking and watching Lynch. I have no influence over him. He's in the first year of marriage. She is god and he is happy. In a few years she will still be god, but he won't be as happy.

Remember, Sirocco, Lynch is best consumed alone. The Navigator had to return to the theater the next night because his date fled the movie the night before.

The fat woman dancing on top of the car in Blue Velvet to "In Dreams" while Hopper beats the crap out of McLaughlin, now that's film!

The border can of course be accessed with chemicals, but I would never do such a thing, nor do I know anyone who would ever do such a thing, nor do I know anyone who knows anyone who would ever do such a thing.

Sirocco, after you watch Lynch you MUST post about it either here or at your place.

9/10/2007 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never been here before. This blog is amazing.

I got here because of the university story, and starting reading the "border" thinking it was about immigration.

I am over 50 years old and I have NEVER heard of this. The more I realize you people are actually discussing something TRUE the more amazing it is. This is really true?

For certainty, are you actually saying that the events of 1993 truly in fact for real happen? True or not, the concept of 1993 is beyond genius. That story is incredible.

I loved Twin Peaks. I remember the sycamore trees and the pit of oil.

Please tell me you are not saying that there is a real black lodge.

9/10/2007 3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time, x4mr has already answered your question.

Every stick has two ends.

9/10/2007 3:59 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Navigator,
I would be a little more generous with first and start by noting semantics. What is a "black lodge"?

I'm not betting on a place with jagged floor designs and lots of red curtains.

Ante up, Navigator. You should share your experiences. In 1993 and 1981, I "encountered" what could be called "aligned with" one end of a particular stick.

I have not shared what happened in 1973.

The other side of that stick has a laugh, and yes, I have "heard" it. I seriously make the following promise:

You do not ever want to hear that laugh.

9/10/2007 5:19 PM  
Blogger Zelph said...

I vote for more esoteric content. Enneagrams, anyone? I give you a B for influence.

9/11/2007 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOLY $#^@#!!

x4mr, Are you saying what I think you're saying? Did you really go that far? Shitdang.

You actually INTERACTED?!

I don't know if I can talk about what I've done. Maybe later. If you have done what I think you've done, you are way out of my league.

I don't know anyone who's returned from where you went. They are either in asylums or committed suicide.

9/12/2007 9:54 AM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Navigator,

Yeah. I am saying what you think, and yes, sustained injury. I was able to clean up most of it, but a part of me will never be the same.

Your turn, pal. Ante up. I know it's hard to articulate. Just do your best. Have a pair and at least share something.

You said you've been many times, so put some chips on the table.

I'm waiting.

9/12/2007 11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lack your writing skills and your courage. (How did I get myself into this?)

Well, I'll try. The first time, I stood before a mirror and could see through myself in a certain way. There aren't words. I saw a machine. The thoughts, feelings, all of it, just a machine.

I mean, I REALLY REALLY SAW IT.

My pathetic writing cannot express it. Did you see the robot movie with the kid who loves his mom and discovers the factory that made him? Imagine his psychological state seeing the dolls of himself.

That's the best I can do. Sorry.

9/12/2007 11:49 AM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Navigator,

You’re too hard on yourself. For me at least, you nailed it. I bought the T-shirt at that place. For a slightly deeper cut, envision being a six year old on the bus to first grade. Suddenly you notice you don’t recognize the road, so you walk to the front of the bus, and see that there is no driver. All of the other kids are blissfully clueless, and you know the bus has no driver and is completely out of control. Imagine that psychological state.

If the bus occurs as completely different from the mirror, don’t worry about it, but the bus is an extension of the mirror.

9/12/2007 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea what twisted, spooky shit the two of you are talking about, and I want to keep it that way.

If you find a link to this border, x4mr, don't post it, and don't post it with a DO NOT CLICK! warning.

9/12/2007 1:10 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Navigator,

Buy the NIN "With Teeth" and listen to track 8, "Only."

Well, the tiniest little dot caught my eye
And it turned out to be a scab
And I had this funny feeling
Like I just knew it's something bad

I just couldn't leave it alone
I kept picking at that scab
It was a doorway trying to seal itself shut
But I climbed through

Now I'm somewhere I am not supposed to be
And I can see things I know I really shouldn't see
And now I know why now, now I know why
Things aren't as pretty on the inside
.

9/12/2007 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is any of this published in a reputable source?

9/12/2007 9:50 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Anon,
You didn't know that blogs only feature extremely accurate factual articles?

9/13/2007 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE