Friday, January 11, 2008

Targeting Education and a Warehouse

Tucson, Arizona. Sometimes I embarrass myself by failing to see the most painfully obvious facts that are right in front of me. I once spent 20 minutes frantically searching for my car keys. I looked everywhere over and over, growing more and more frustrated. Finally I screamed at the ceiling, "Show where the $#$#@ keys @#$#@$!!" and threw my keys violently to the floor.

The keys had literally been in my hand the whole time. Scary.

Well, Target is going to open a warehouse in Tucson, hundreds of jobs (perhaps - we have heard this before). Thinking about that this morning, it suddenly dawned on me that a low wage town does in fact attract business. I got this before, but not like this morning. It just clicked at another level. Just like affordable housing attracts individuals to a location, affordable labor attracts employers. DUH.

What was I thinking wanting to raise the wages of the local workforce? That's not we want to do. That's not it at all. We WANT a low wage town. It's UCA in action. The employers, the owners, the top make everything. Tucson is simply an example of what is happening nationally. Gut education. Gut workforce development. Gut training. Education is expensive. As Sirocco noted at the previous thread, let the other countries pay for it, and then our companies can steal their well trained workers by bringing them here or setting up shop over there.

Unable to get them here on visas, Microsoft is building offices in Canada for software development. It hires programmers from India. We have a ways to go, but this country is on a trajectory to an economy consisting of slave owners and slaves.

When all education is privatized, we accelerate in this direction. The slave owners will receive first rate preparation to rule. The slaves learn to do what they are told. A terrible lie exists in the system.

The nation would tank into chaos. The nation itself would become something that does what it is told, either by corporations or other nations. The United States has lost its connection to education and its importance. We had it in the 50's and 60's. We don't have it anymore. We pay it lip service and cut its funding. As above so below.

Dr. Robert Shelton has to face the razor blades out of Phoenix. I faced my razor blades in Tucson. Unlike SAIAT, of course the university will not close, but when they cut, it hurts somewhere. Classes get larger. Equipment is replaced a little slower. Tuition has to rise yet even further, so fewer can attend.

Everyone loves education so long as someone else pays for it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dustin said...

I've done that, only the keys were in my pocket.

As for the education funding, I just don't know what to say. I hear things like "throwing money at it won't solve the problem" but I have yet to hear of a well funded school doing poorly. The proof is in the pudding, and if we are cutting funding, and as a result performance drops, then the answer seems like it should be obvious. For the most part, you get what you pay for.

1/11/2008 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a story in Friday's Arizona Daily Star about the Target coup, Joe Snell is quoted thus:
"What does Target know that we don't know about Tucson?" Snell asked.
Well, my goodness, Joe, if YOU don't know, what they hell are you doing -- you oughta get out of Dodge and your 2-bit organization should dry up and blow away.

1/11/2008 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE