Thursday, January 03, 2008

Status Quo Lost, and Change Won

John Edwards did not win the Iowa caucus this evening, but he won the best sound bite, stating the title of this story, "Status Quo Lost, and Change Won."

For a brief moment, a single day, backbone and character won over money and corporate greed. The Obama win over Clinton is not decisive and Edwards remains a factor. The rest of the blue field should call it a day. Biden and Dodd, men for whom I have a great deal of respect, announced their withdrawal from the race. That's what smart people do.

What is not yet emerging or barely emerging in the main stream press are the omnivores. Those familiar with this blog know that this refers to the under 30 tech savvy crowd, and as anticipated here they will emerge in 2008 as a formidable force in the election. They despise status quo and this time, they will participate. What is also slower in being noticed is the gap between blue and red turnout. Blue went ballistic. Red turnout was mellow in comparison.

The red results for candidates are more dramatic. Romney dramatically outgunned and outspent Huckebee, going all out to win Iowa, yet fell embarrassingly short. His 25% against Huckabee's 34% represents the results of his best, a far greater failure than McCain's (with minimal effort) 13% or Giuliani's (with no effort) 4%. Giuliani and McCain grow in strength, still holding their best cards. Romney played his top hand and fell short.

Romney's an idiot and will not withdraw. MSNBC quotes him, "I hope Iowans makes a really powerful choice, and if you select me, I think I'll go on to become the nominee," he quipped. "If you don't, well, I'll still go on to become the nominee."

Did this guy take "Pompous Ass 481" from Eggplant?

Three candidates remain standing on each side:

Democrats:
1. Obama
2. Edwards
3. Clinton

Republicans
1. Huckabee
2. McCain
3. Giuliani

Also worth noting is the energy of the democratic turnout and the hostility towards the Iraq war. I recall Huckabee criticizing Dunce Eggplant as "arrogant" (a profound leap) and another GOP candidate (Romney) attacking such criticism as inappropriate. The former won Iowa. The latter is toast. A word is starting to emerge. Perhaps it started with the Ron Paul campaign, but it is growing, REVOLUTION.

Two final remarks:
The country is screaming for change. We are on the wrong road headed in the wrong direction, and votes flow towards the candidates that convince voters they can indeed alter the disastrous course this unconscionable administration has set for this nation.

The candidates that occur as authentic in this regard: 1) Barack Obama, 2) Mike Huckabee, and 3) Ron Paul.

15 Comments:

Blogger Touchdown said...

Obama has cross-over appeal. My bro, Sharkbait stated that McCain is his first choice, but if McCain isn't in the mix, he'd consider Obama...and he's an NRA guy.

It could be simply because people want an outsider.

1/03/2008 11:50 PM  
Blogger Sirocco said...

I think it's far too early to count Romney out. Huckabee has issues in NH which seem likely to hurt him, and IA was a near ideal situation for him in terms of the electorate there. It remains to be seen if he isn't a 1 (or maybe 2 or 3) hit wonder.

1/04/2008 8:21 AM  
Blogger Liza said...

I am so happy about the Obama win. I didn't allow myself to be optimistic about this because politicians like the Clintons just seem to have a way of landing on the top of the heap. But last night was different. Maybe now I can be cautiously optimistic.

I just can't get over the historical significance of Obama winning given that I grew up in the Jim Crow south. These are the moments that you just dream about. If he goes on to win the Democratic nomination, we will live history again. We may even possibly see a groundswell movement that will unite us, at least temporarily.

I've got to say that Edwards looked last night. His speech was excellent.

Hillary didn't look too bad, but I muted her speech. I can't stand to listen to her. She's a tired old political hag, and I wish she would drop out. Of course, she'll be around until the last dog is hung. Bill looked as though he had been dragged behind a truck. They must be working him like a borrowed mule.

Huckabee is interesting isn't he? he came from behind and just blew them all away. I don't think it will hurt him to take a shot at Bush once in awhile.

1/04/2008 9:11 AM  
Blogger Liza said...

Make that "Edwards looked good."

1/04/2008 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was hoping Obama would win, but like Liza I thought that establishment power or Edwards being known in Iowa would sink him. I also never bet on young people coming out in Iowa. I am soooo pleased to see that I was wrong.

I watched Obama's speech and found it to be one of the best that I have ever heard on the campaign trail. I was never so inspired to be an American...there was no hate, no angry Democrat message, and over and over he talked about change has to come from being less divisive. This, however, might be interesting to some progressives.

Does working with the other side mean compromise? The kind of stuff that makes people say things like "DINO"? That is the only thing that laid out there that some who can't stand moderates migh seize on.

The only thing I disagree with Matt is the part where you said his win was not decisive. You may have meant that "it isn't over yet", which I agree with. BUT his win was a landslide in my opinion. 8% points!!!! As Carl Bernstein said too, about 70% of the vote was NOT for Clinton. That is decisive. Last, everyone said that Huckabee's win was a blowout...and it was 9% points. How can 9 be a blowout and 8 be close? Not meaing to put words in your mouth that you didnt say.

Well, I will have to make my 4th donation to Obama this morning.

1/04/2008 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...I didn't mean my 4th donation THIS morning...which would make me sound a little crazier than some think I am...but the 4th overall since the campaign started.

1/04/2008 9:53 AM  
Blogger x4mr said...

I thought both Edwards and Obama gave excellent speeches. I could vote for either with enthusiasm.

May the blue tsunami slap the GOP so hard it changes its name. Then we can prosecute Cheney and Eggplant for the crimes against humanity they have committed.

I disagree with Huckabee's views, but must confess I think he has quality of character.

I cannot stand Romney. He's another spoiled rotten rich vegetable whose daddy ran for president so he has to.

The man is not authentic. Frankly, I don't think Hillary is authentic either. I find it refreshing that Iowa seemed to vote for character yesterday.

Decent human beings in Washington? Now that would be a revolution.

I'll post more later, but Pelosi needs to go as Speaker. The Dems need to pick someone else next time.

1/04/2008 10:58 AM  
Blogger Liza said...

X4mr,
You know what I think of Pelosi. I'm betting the Democrats will keep her. They'll make excuses for her and say she needs a chance with a Democratic president and blah blah blah.

Anyhow, Roger is right. It's time to be writing checks for either of the TWO Democratic frontrunners. Maybe we can buy back some democracy.

1/04/2008 12:15 PM  
Blogger John Rose said...

Roger,

I think his idea of compromise is like what he did in the Illinois state senate with health care: when the progressive support isn't quite a majority, be open to ideas from from your opposition. In Illinois, he was narrowly able to expand coverage to over 150k people by making a few minor concessions to corporate interests.
(http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/09/23/in_illinois_obama_dealt_with_lobbyists/?page=full)
All-in-all, I'd say that's better than deadlock, and with a stronger political position like the one the Democratic president will likely have in '08, such compromise might be unnecessary.

1/04/2008 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear John:

A very nice response. Thank you. That would be the type of leadership that I would like to see and would approve of. A problem solver who is pragmatic and doesn't let ideological theory keep him or her from making things happen.

Best,

Roger

1/04/2008 1:57 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Not much disagreement at this thread, and yesterday has raised my opinion of Iowa and what might be possible in some other parts of the country.

Roger,
The remark about "decisive" was only meant in the context that it did not decide the election, which I continue to assert.

It was important, historic, and significant for many reasons like those mentioned in the comments here.

Enjoy the feeling while it lasts, Liza. We don't get to feel like this very often.

I will never forget the election of 1992. I danced all night.

1/04/2008 3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think with Obama we will be dancing also...into a more peaceful world, an optimistic and brighter America, and an America that practices tolerance at the same time that it preaches it.

1/04/2008 10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt:

If I had a blog of my own, I would run with the following quote from today's Washington Post. It gets strongly at why Obama is whipping Hillary and why the old guard is so damned stupid.

"Mary Louise Hancock, the 87-year-old grande dame of the state's Democrats, said she "resented" that independent voters were poised to influence the outcome of the Democratic primary, saying it turned the vote into a "personal-liking affair" dominated by "students and the trendies."

1/06/2008 1:26 PM  
Blogger Liza said...

Roger,
The nice thing about geriatric, old guard bigots is that they do eventually die.

1/06/2008 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahahahaha

1/07/2008 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE