Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Switching Roles

Karl Rove, considered by some to have as much influence as Lord Cheney, resigned today, stepping down at the end of the month. Obviously the news is all over it. The reader can peruse the articles at CNN, MSNBC, CBS, but I like ABC that notes the Texas Bush's Brain reputation and Rove's "I'm Moby Dick" statement, which I find intriguing given a recent story of mine.

We are talking about a guy who refused to comply with the Judiciary Committee's subpoena. In addition to the standard line about tending to his family, he said, "I need to make some money."

Excuse me?

The criminal needs to go to prison. Last I checked, our federal prisons don't charge rent. I'm pretty sure the food is free. Overweight white Republicans are prison candy. Let's provide Karl an opportunity to switch roles.

What those paying attention know is that the Rove resignation is the latest of a list of many including Harriet Miers, Andrew Card, Dan Bartlett, and Karen Hughes. So what does this really mean? The reader can search the press which has no shortage of material and angles. Here's the Note's take on the impact on the election, and it offers some other interesting links.

The White House wants to avoid the "lame duck image." Well, W, idiot, said the following in front of everybody, "Karl Rove is moving on down the road. I'll be on the road behind you here in a little bit."

WHAT?!!!

Does the reader get the significance of this slip? I promise that I have been trained in a certain art. The words speak worlds.

Bush wants out.

Oh, uggh. I have been there. Readers of Something Else know that in November of 2006 I found myself cut in half and a dead man walking. Most likely, Bush wants out even more than we want him out, and I speak from experience when I say the experience is horrible. After TREO assassinated me, I only had to walk among the living dead for six months. Bush has SEVENTEEN more to go. The whole country is groaning. Hatred for Cheney escalates as Bush looks increasingly impotent, exposed as the puppet he is. Republicans squirm on the implications for their own seats. News of disintegration and disarray escalate on every front.

My bottom line for the god awful atrocity that is going to cost this country dearly, dearly, dearly, is that we allowed ourselves to elect an executive branch focused solely on building political power for a single individual without the slightest regard for serving the country. Rove shifted the agenda to political power for the White House and the White House alone, and every agency, every department, every organization, even scientific research, faced pressure to shift to that mission.

The GOP Congress, if awake, should be panicking. Watergate was five guys breaking into a room. Iraq is a trillion dollar escalating bloody disaster butchering children as other financial disasters brew and Afghanistan disintegrates along with our own domestic infrastructure. If the Democrats nominate a can of spam for President, spam will take the White House in 2008.

Through Rove and Cheney, we elected leadership that served itself and its best supporters, not the nation. They violated a most sacred bond between the governing and the governed. The word is betrayal. At the national level, the word is treason. They are indeed criminals. They will probably not go to prison, but prison they deserve.

If we are to survive, our leadership must serve this nation, not its own political power. Time wounds all heals. Ultimately, the four steps forward respond to the three steps back. It is slow and painful, but we progress.

The time has come for our political science experts and intellectuals to craft publications powerfully distinguishing what Rove has painfully illustrated. We win if the conversation produces meaningful election and campaign finance reform that provides relief for candidates truly committed to serving this nation and creates barriers for those seeking office to serve their own interests.

Democratic leadership must craft strategies for an MO while Bush walks dead and stymies progress and prepare for the post 2008 election when they gain the steering wheel and must immediately address the mess.

Blue money will dwarf red. Use it wisely to protect all blue freshman as cost effectively as possible and target all low hanging red fruit (Renzi).

The walking dead are zombies incapable of much. I have been one. The blue need to grow teeth, bite and bite hard. Draw blood. KILL. (The reader does get I mean politically.) We need to teach our political parties that if they nominate Lord wannabees that think this country exists to serve them, they will be crucified.

The time has come to switch roles regarding who serves whom.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume since you didn't say Bush would resign, that you don't think he will.

Of course he won't, no matter how much he wants it to be over.

You're are probably right about the slip. He probably does want to leave.

8/14/2007 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this blog almost every day, and I am not the anonymous that reacted to yesterday's story, which I had the good fortune to miss during its "dangerous period."

I have to respond that I do not share your optimism that any role switch will happen. No matter who gets elected in 2008, it will be same ol same ol with the rich serving the rich.

Maybe your blue wave will get us out of Iraq, but probably not much different than would have happened otherwise. I agree with Liza. We will never leave.

The upcoming crises will occur no matter who we elect, and they will all posture and position and little will change.

Maybe you are right about the four steps forward, but I am resigned that we will all be dead before things get much better than the current mess.

8/14/2007 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with anon that I remain unconvinced a blue wave will change anything. I've decided to take a wait and see approach to politics for the time being, and reserve judgement until the general election. Needless to say I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the crop of candidates on all sides as they stand now. My choices are either rabid "more gitmo!" repubs, or more back down dems of the DLC. I'll probably vote blue, mainly because they and I currently align on a fair number of issues, but I'm not holding my breath. I just think the damage is already done. The problem is precedent, and unless something is done to punish these guys in some way, it is set in stone. Last time I checked, folks got fired or otherwise punished for screwing up on the job, be it intentional or not.

All I can say is this: I am just so tired of being lied to, spun at, and otherwise fed bullshit on a nightly basis. I can't even laugh about it anymore. I'll cast my vote alright, but I don't think it makes one lick of difference.

8/14/2007 1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One (this one, at least) can't help wondering if Bush wants to get out so badly whether he will resign and we will have what we have always had in the administration, President Cheney. Hmmmmm. That's something novel to ponder.

8/14/2007 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Francine,

There is no way Bush will resign, but if you read this blog, you will see that x4mr has been referring to Lord Cheney as the one in charge for quite some time now, with most comments agreeing. One story is dedicated to that.

I agree with the press articles that say Cheney will resist to the end, keeping the tax cuts in place, keeping us in Iraq, and continuing to resist efforts to address global warming, subsidies to big business, and so on.

My sentiments are between x4mr's sense of optimism (really good story a few days back addressing Liza) and the resignation of anonymous. I think it is safe to say things will get worse before better, given our situation on many fronts.

When and if the "four steps forward" will happen? Who knows?

I hope x4mr is right and overall we make it, but like the darkest before completely black story, the road ahead is terrifying.

8/14/2007 2:53 PM  
Blogger Sirocco said...

Bush won't resign. Cheney won't either, he will never have this tight a grip on teh reins of power and influence again, and can be counted on to squeeze ever last ounce of benefit he can for himself and his friends before he term limits out.

8/15/2007 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE