Sunday, June 14, 2009

DC

Greetings from the capital here at The Bolger Center just outside of the beltway. The brief trip is the last obligation associated with my graduate work, presenting the dissertation to those who work with federal higher education policy. Believe or not, this is my first time in DC as events until now just never got around to being here. The tourism will have to wait until next time. I must quickly return to the new digs.

Speaking of the new digs, I was walking back from lunch, and no kidding, I saw a totally bleached white squirrel clinging to the side of a tree. I did a double take to confirm my eyes, and sure enough, the thing was 100% albino, red eyes and all.

Did you know about albino squirrels?

Until now I had never heard of them. I naturally inquired, and it turns out all sorts of animals can have the condition, from tigers (heard of that) to deer to horses to fish to (get this) kaola bears and alligators. There are albino alligators. An albino alligator is a notion worthy of a song, but I'd have to drink heavily to figure out the lyrics, let alone the tune. Then I realized someone made a movie with the title, which featured Kevin Spacey's first attempt at directing.

He should stick to acting.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Scarlett Letter said...

Nice to know where you have landed. Good luck!

6/14/2009 8:45 PM  
Blogger TexPatriate said...

If you ever get down to New Orleans, be sure to stop by the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas. They have a live albino alligator and, yes, it's definitely worth a look see.

They also have a couple of shallow tanks where you can actually handle (feel) the smaller animals -- like sea cucumbers, urchins, etc.

Yes. I fondled sea life. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. =)P

6/14/2009 10:05 PM  
Blogger The Navigator said...

Your description of beautiful rolling hills after crossing Illinois eliminated all possibilities except the Hilltoppers in Bowling Green. That is quite the profound departure from Tucson.

The idea of your presenting to DC education policymakers warms my heart. I hope this trip is the beginning of many where your efforts to forward education in the country make a difference.

It's a shame the leadership of Tucson was too stupid (or too greedy) to understand what you were doing for Tucson's workers.

Good luck.

By the way, I find it most entertaining when someone who knows SO MUCH still has certain areas of unfamiliarity. It's interesting that the albino alligator has somehow managed to elude your scope all of these years. I'm not throwing any stones because I may have a lot of glass in my own house.

I imagine an albino alligator is quite a sight.

6/15/2009 10:00 AM  
Blogger Liza said...

Navigator,
They had an albino alligator at Silver Springs in Ocala, Florida, as I recall. However, after seeing it several years ago, I've never given it a single thought until this moment.

Well, X4mr, you landed close to home. I was just reading about Bowling Green in Wikipedia. It sounds as though you will immediately be part of the town's elite class. It's about time, huh?

I've always liked that part of the country especially southern Ohio. I thought of moving to Cincinnati back in the 80s but it was one of those things that didn't happen, perhaps regrettably.

Now, hopefully, you can settle down and get a dog.

6/15/2009 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE