Wednesday, July 14, 2010

BlogNetNews Closes Down

BlogNetNews.com, which featured blog rankings for every state in the country, closed its web site yesterday after serving the blogger community for over three years. I visited the site almost daily, perusing the blog wire that provided a one page at a glance summary of all the blog posts associated with the key blogs in a given state. I liked the site because it had both right and left leaning blogs. Their blog rankings made the news, and while the secret ranking algorithm was hardly gospel, it more or less tracked with what seasoned bloggers expected. In Arizona, for example, we know that Sonoran Alliance dominates the right and Blog for Arizona (and Tedski when he blogged) leads the left.

More than the rankings, the summaries at the blog wire will be missed. Many blogs (including this one) received visitors who read the BNN headlines and clicked on the article links. That said, the energy at the site was clearly dwindling. As the political blogosphere continues to evolve, it is getting harder. Many sites have descended into choir blogging, utterly unreadable to all but their own unthinking flock. I almost quit at the beginning of this year and still might, refusing to preach to choirs. Choir blogging may not be the only reason, but many of the local blogs are withering on the vine. Just for fun, I would read the news, reflect a minute, and then visit Seeing Red with my prediction on what would be there. My accuracy is staggering. It's as mechanical as an old Westclox. I could write it. Why would anyone read IC Arizona (which, by the way, will lose its sole raison d'etre when McCain wins the primary)? Traffic to that site has tanked.

LeftyBlogs is still operating. If anyone knows a good site where one can scan what the blogs are saying without having to visit each one, I'd love to hear about it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Arizona Progress ACTION said...

Please visit www.azprogress.org for a one-stop shop of progressive bloggers and Arizona news. We stream your blog there too! We make no apologies for not carrying crap from the right.

We are about gathering Arizona's progressive voices and amplifying them back through social networks and traditional media.

If you have connections to other bloggers we'd love to hear from you!

7/14/2010 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Observer said...

Well, shit. This is bad news. I also visited BNN regularly to get an overview of what the blogs were doing, and I completely agree with x4mr that the blogs are deteriorating. I like the reference to Westclox.

The right wing blogs have descended into pure echo chamber, but I did like BNN for making it easy to scan the scum at 40,000 feet where I can avoid the stench. Now that I've said that, this may be a worse development for the right wing blogs. They were stronger at BNN.

Lefty Blogs, Kos, and the AZ Progress that commented above are still going strong.

7/14/2010 9:33 PM  
Anonymous Thomas said...

Damn. I also read BNN.

Maybe they also realized they were linking to a bunch of echo chambers and choir circle jerks.

I hope you continue to post interesting and thought provoking material.

7/15/2010 5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, hope you continue; I've just found you and am still trying to digest all the provoking thoughts I'm getting from you. Thanks




Donna

7/17/2010 5:27 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Donna,

Delighted if you find the material worthwhile. Your name is an interesting coincidence, for the demise of BNN caused me to look at some blog rolls more carefully, and I just discovered today a blog I find thought provoking in an intriguing way.

A blog with 115 entries on GOP hypocrisy, that clearly gets misogyny, and that clearly thinks for itself.

You share the name of the person behind this blog.

7/17/2010 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE