Thursday, February 21, 2008

Independent Candidate Derek Tidball

Tucson, Arizona. I met with Arizona Independent CD-8 candidate Derek Tidball this afternoon for a beer and some dialog. Since he requested the meeting, I told him I had no agenda and that the conversation could be whatever he wished. His main objective for speaking with me did not involve the blog, telling me about himself, his campaign, or asking for my support. He met with me out of the desire to learn about higher education and the training of adults.

Oh, twist my arm. I delivered the semester course in higher education finance in twenty minutes. Some of it he already knew. Then he inquired about SAIAT, training the already employed, and the implementation of an employee development resources center, something few understand. Derek got it, and he tied it to the modularized training of military units as they require real time fast response customized training in the heat of developing circumstances.

As an Independent, Derek Tidball is no Jay Quick. Sharply dressed, well groomed, and carrying himself with dignity and confidence, he is putting himself before room after room, group after group, discussing issue after issue. Tonight he addressed the Drinking Liberally group. As I left, they were in the thick of it regarding immigration, guest worker programs, and the 12 million already here. In other words, Independent Derek Tidball is campaigning. Throughout all of it, he assimilates every conversation, listens, learns, and integrates. I know an information sponge when I meet one. He is going to get his signatures. He will be part of the debates.

Derek's roots lack the wealth and elite education of Gabrielle Giffords. The subject of Tim Bee's educational attainment has come up. Derek does have a boatload of military training and combat experience with the 101st Airborne in Afghanistan. He is now pursuing his bachelor's degree. I have a lot of experience watching minds work. In terms of cerebral horsepower, authenticity, and spine, Derek is behind none of his opponents.

As the Independent candidate, Derek's odds of a victory are extremely remote, and I am not suggesting he will become the next Congressman for Arizona's Eighth Congressional District. What I am saying is that he is going places and deserves to, a respectable and honorable candidate who loves his country. He will stand with the other two before triple digit audiences and television cameras. He will get his time.

He will not have his opponents' money, infrastructure, television spots, or slam dunk votes of the party faithful. He will however, have a sharp and informed intellect, the wisdom that comes from the humility to listen and learn, and a voice during the campaign. I am glad he is running and as a fellow Independent, I salute and respect his campaign and firmly believe that it will make a significant contribution to the election.

Derek will be listening to his opponents. They make a mistake if they do not listen to him.

6 Comments:

Blogger Liza said...

X4mr, this is an interesting post. I didn't know much of anything about Derek Tidball before reading this. I think it is very much to his credit that he went to you for information about higher education and adult training. Based on what you've said, Derek sounds like a very intelligent and motivated person. He's not going to win the CD8 election this time, but hopefully his time will come if he remains interested in public service.

Derek, I am VERY LIKELY to vote for you because I do not vote for Republicans (at the national level) or any Blue Dog Democrats.

2/22/2008 2:52 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Liza,

As a progressive, you will not agree with some of his positions, but I can say with confidence that he is a fine human being who wants to make a contribution.

Before Eggplant when I could vote for Republicans, if he were to be in the GOP, I might vote for him.

I made his name a link to his web site. You might want to take a look. He is GOOD PEOPLE. His authenticity is amazing, and he has courage. He is willing to not look good in front of others. He is willing to throw himself out there in front of hostility and take the hits as he struggles with the questions.

If you can make them, you should consider attending the debates.

Derek is much more problematic for Bee, who has cause for concern.

2/22/2008 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Mariana said...

Met Derek last night. Talked to him till midnight. Liked him very much.
x4mr, so it was you! Too bad you left so early, more people showed up, Vic among them, we talked till 1am . It was very interesting as usual. Hope you'll come back.

2/22/2008 4:33 PM  
Blogger AZW88 said...

Dang! I missed X4mr! I was out of town yesterday and didn't make it to Drinking Liberally...

Maybe Matt will make it back next week....

2/22/2008 6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

x4mr,
Are you saying that if Tidball were the GOP candidate in CD-8, you might vote for him?

Phooey!! Giffords cast a spell on you. A ballot with her name on it will seduce your voting pen for all eternity.

I agree about Tidball and Bee and go even farther. Tidball is more upset with GOP and Bee than he is Giffords. He's an injured vet who has seen how some of his buddies have been treated at the VA.

I can see how you and Tidball would hit it off and why you would like him so much. Maybe he gets your vote (even as GOP) in another race.

Giffords has your voting soul hidden somewhere in a jar. Resistance is futile.

2/22/2008 8:03 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Anon,

Haagh!! My voting soul in a jar! I like it.

A vote is never a sure thing, but yes, both the Obama and Giffords banners are part of the blog template. I openly endorse both.

I would still love to see Derek show up strong in the race, and I concur that his frustrations rest more with the GOP and Bee than the Democrats.

2/23/2008 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE