Saturday, November 17, 2007

Choking Children

Tucson, Arizona. For reasons unimportant I drove to campus yesterday, and on the way there I looked to my left and saw a car filled with smoke and three young children, all under ten.

I enjoy a cigar regularly and while sitting in the shop, I inhale all sorts of second hand smoke. I know it. I am also approaching 50, choosing to take the risk, and if lung cancer takes me a little sooner, so be it.

However, seeing a defenseless four-year-old engulfed in thick, gray smoke in the back seat of a car raised my blood pressure. I drove on, swearing to myself about the incredible lack of consideration even for one's own children, assuming the kids were his.

Apparently I am not alone. Rep. David Schapira, a Tempe Democrat, has sponsored a bill that would ban smoking in cars when children are present. Granted, enforcement and actual impact remain unclear, but the idea is not new and has made it into law in Arkansas, Louisiana, California, and perhaps some other states.

Perhaps if I did not raise a daughter my thoughts would be different, but little can boil my blood more than the harm and suffering of defenseless children who have no means of protecting themselves. I looked at that little girl yesterday in that car, and it really hurt. I'm not kidding.

Maybe such a law stands a chance in Arizona. Perhaps we can get it passed. Barring some problematic issues with implementation or enforcement, Janet would sign it without hesitation. Maybe we can get it through so long as we let the kids keep their guns.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

x4mr,

I have a question. Say the law passes and a cop pulls over a car full of smoke with a four year old girl in the back.

Who does the cop ticket if it's the four year old girl that's smoking instead of the driver?

11/17/2007 7:06 PM  
Anonymous the doctor said...

Anon, very hilarious and elegantly irreverent.

I think you'll fit right in here.

11/18/2007 5:40 PM  
Blogger Dustin said...

I can get with this. Maybe a side benefit would be less butts on the road.

11/19/2007 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE