Tuesday, October 09, 2007

A Bee is Buzzing


Tucson, Arizona. Yesterday the Arizona Daily Star published a short, carefully written letter by AZ Senator Tim Bee(R), who has formed an exploratory committee to consider running against Congresswoman Giffords for Congressional District 8. He was responding to the Star's earlier opinion piece expressing the view that he should announce if he is going to run.

Well, ThinkRight has posted a press release that Sandra Froman, the President of the National Rifle Association, has joined Jim Click to co-chair Bee's exploratory committee. Froman has written about getting the gun vote.


No doubt the President of the NRA finds Bee's decision on running interesting enough to co-chair the committee helping him decide.

I don't have any particular objection to his fulfilling his duties as Senate President if he thinks he can do that while "campaigning for a campaign" but not "campaigning."

What I find troubling is the fund raising question. His letter does not refer to his Web site or his mySpace page. The Web site has credit card functionality that solicits money (a single donor can give $2300) just like a full blown campaign, adhering exactly to the rules and procedures of a campaign. My blogger budget can't answer the question, but I can ask it.

If the committee can raise money like a campaign (minus certain groups), does it have to disclose the results like a campaign?

7 Comments:

Blogger thinkright said...

Well, the FEC says that while "testing the waters" you can raise the max for your specific race that you're considering...

http://www.fec.gov/press/bkgnd/pres_cf/exploratory.html

10/09/2007 9:20 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

TR,

Does the committee have to file FEC reports on the money raised?

10/09/2007 10:21 PM  
Blogger thinkright said...

I'm not clear, the AZ GOP says no, but I know that the report has been filed.

10/10/2007 7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And how much did he raise?

10/10/2007 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not know if he has filed yet but do know his exploratory committee always intended to file and they will do so. Don't have a clue how much he raised in a month but we can all learn when the reports are on line.

10/10/2007 8:49 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Anon and TR,

I'm confused. He's not running yet, but he files? Files how? Does the FEC list exploratory committees? I don't think so.

Are you saying he files a "don't know if I'm running, but I've raised this so far" report?

I'm not coming from a critical angle. I just don't understand.

Basically, my position is that if he is raising serious money, he should have to play by the same rules, which means that donors over $200 are identified as are quarterly totals.

I don't care about 2007, but if he remains in office through 2008 Q1 and Q2, actively raising funds, and keeps figures and sources under the radar, we have a problem.

Effective 2008, he needs to play on the same field. My sense is that January is an important fork in the road where the forces shift dramatically. Either choice (resignation or not) involves a considerable escalation of heat.

10/10/2007 9:12 PM  
Blogger roger said...

I suspect he will release his funds. He'd better. It will show his support and who is supporting him.

Here is the biggest problem though..and what the "resign to run" law is all about. He is the President of the Senate. People know that he may stay on. Contributing large sums of money to his "possible" Congressional campaign is ethically troubling. He is in the biggest position of power in the legislature. This gives individuals the opportunity to "support" his campaign and at the same time signal who is important in the coming legislative agenda.

I suspect that I would be very pleased to donate if I had some interest in talking to him about the pending legislative agenda.

This, I suspect, is the purpose of the resign to run law.

THIS is what people should be talking about...and what they should be looking for in his first report.

10/14/2007 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE