Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Got Google?

Naturally, politicians maintain an awareness of what occurs when they get googled. If not, they're idiots. I am pure nobody, and even I google my name occasionally just to make sure the result is not some youtube video of my likeness being intimate with a four legged creature.

I wanted to share with my readers that this is the tip of the google iceberg. The activity runs far deeper than placing a particular name in the search bar. For example, is my dear reader aware that quite recently the NRCC ran a google search with the two keywords "NRCC" and "Jessica Boulanger" in the search bar? Do you know about the google searching activity of our Department of Justice? I'm talking simple, unhidden activity. Can you imagine what the NSA people do? When they process this blog and others, I am rather clear that I am given no trace of their presence.

No, I am not going to post the kind of language that I think would trigger the real deal. While an interesting exercise, Framer or Sirocco can do it. If they email me the info, I will notify next of kin when they disappear.

The takeaway information of this post is that creative google searches have become part of the intelligence apparatus of many organizations, and it is more sophisticated than a casual consideration would suggest. Combinations of keywords are explored to see who is connecting whom with what, who with whom, and what with what. Do you understand? Content is being explored for the connections it makes.

For example, google PNAC by itself. Then google it followed by Cheney. Then delete Cheney, and google PNAC followed by Bush. See the difference?

Implications?

Unknown, and I mean really unknown. Even big brother is scratching his head. Web 2.0 got turned on, and they don't know how (or if) to turn it off. My humble opinion, trying to turn if off is folly distilled. Standing in front of the train is suicide. The smart move is to influence the train, steer it. The forces of good will seek to use it to enlighten, educate, communicate, and empower humanity towards a brighter future. The forces of darkness will seek to use it as an instrument of control, propaganda, and oppression.

In the natural desire for significance, throughout history everyone likes to think they live in special times. Maybe all times are special. Well, correct or not, I succumb to this belief. I think we indeed stand at a crossroads, perched on not one fulcrum but many. On global warming, I think the US is only two or three dozen cement heads away from pursuing solutions. I'm more concerned about China.

Regarding information technology, I am optimistic, and the reason is actually quite funny. The tyrants are simply not smart enough, and they can't buy enough brains to outsmart the rest of us. They just can't. This might be the ultimate fulcrum. Do the masses get too smart and informed via information technology to be exploited, or do the exploiters stay enough in front to use the information technology to exploit?

5 Comments:

Blogger Sirocco said...

Interesting post -- you are about two steps ahead of me, and it helps consolidate some thoughts I had been having after examining my blog traffic of late.

The combination of IP addresses and Google search terms that lead to one's posts can be quite interesting to think about.

I have been getting a number of visits from individuals where the referring page is listed as "Hidden Referrer". Not all the same person either, it doesn't look like. That's interesting too.

Still, we are all small potatoes.

6/07/2007 8:56 AM  
Anonymous the doctor said...

Completely agree with Sirocco that this is interesting.

You are right that the NSA people will not leave a signature.

Your are getting more sophisticated, x4mr. Your "logo" on the camera is pretty cool. You keep getting better. Keep going.

Sirocco, I don't truly know what causes "hidden referrer" but I would guess this is nothing more than a browser option (minimally), or Norton/McAfee security software that deletes or manages cookies or the browser history files.

I don't think it is anything more complicated than that.

6/07/2007 5:00 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

I am aware of some relatively affordable (less than $100) security programs one can purchase that very tightly manage Internet records. One of these is called "History Killer."

It deletes your browser history, your search history, all cookies, all temporary Internet files, and so on, and I would agree with the doctor that those with this software will not show a referring site.

Why might a person not want anyone to know what Web sites they have visited? I don't get it.

Doctor, good catch on the logo. I consider it rather elegant, frankly. Wait until I start posting videos.

Not videos I copied.

Videos I created. Premiere Pro?

Yes, I am growing. Please stay tuned. The show is just beginning.

I promise.

6/07/2007 8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blue haired babe with the camera bearing your logo is blog poetry. You keep getting better. Don't stop.

I look forward to what you create with Premiere.

6/12/2007 11:12 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Anon,

Since the doctor now posts using that handle, I have no idea who you are, but thanks. If you only knew the designs floating. Web 2.0 is infinite.

I had really hoped to include four pieces of video with Something Else to be published 7/07, but I am not going to make it.

Just to wet your appetite, the videos involve very compelling geometry, lines, angles, and shapes including color variations that "dance" in accordance with mathematical relationships that I think will produce a unique experience.

It's forcing me to dust off old group theory books, because all of these items, the colors (roygbiv) and angles and figures constitute subgroups of a total group representing a particular structure within a circle.

In case you haven't noticed, the four external vertices of my logo fit perfectly on a circle. That is no accident.

No one knows where this blog is headed. By using the word "poetry" you're ahead of most.

I hope you enjoy, but unfortunately, it may be fall before the premiere stuff starts to emerge.

6/14/2007 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE